[SBE-89-Alaska] Blast from the past 1985 I think

Gary O'Guinn goguinn at ktuu.com
Wed Jan 11 18:04:30 PST 2023

Yes, that would be 1985. When we turned on the Goose Bay transmitter, most people were pointing their antennas toward the Anchorage Westward Hilton Hotel. Some people didn't have antennas at all - rabbit ears with tin-foil flags, bent coat hangers, you name it. Midnight Sun Broadcasters installed an RCA transmitter at the top of the hotel tower building. So people who lived near downtown had fairly good receptionKTUU's lease was up, and the new manager decided that the short tower, and antenna were an eyesore. At the same time KAKM was broadcasting from the McKay building downtown, and it was condemned by the Municipality, so they had to relocate. KIMO (channel 13)was transmitting from the Dowling Road antenna Farm, but their coverage was not so good, and they wanted to move as well. Thus the Goose Bay tower project was born. When we threw the switch, the viewers were not ready for the change.

Gary O'Guinn
KTUU