[SBE16-Seattle] LPFM's

Jon Kasprick metsnd4u at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 18 13:50:33 PDT 2013

Long gone are the firm ethics of journalism from some (not all) modern media reporting. At least the values that seemed to be in place a few decades ago. That ship has sailed - maybe a vacation cruiser abandoned in the ocean with engine damage caused by a defective 10 cent O-ring. Just saying ...

Unfortunately, it's now just too time-consuming to verify certain data items contained in news reports - so I hear. But, doesn't the internet reduce the research time?  Is part of this rationalization that the least common consumer has no understanding, or concern, about these details? You know, the details that engineers and attorneys thrive upon.

Frustration aside, the LPFMs are here and they present new challenges to not only engineering, but programming folks. Not only will there be interference issues, but there will likely be a change in the community issues and concerns addressed by commercial stations. They will be reacting to a changing, more outspoken if you will, community base.

The FCC has done a great job recognizing and disarming the over-zealous organizations that insist upon their message being heard above all. However, there are still activists or evangelists that are promoting LPFM as a means to fight corporate media. That's not going away. When I hear legitimate community groups wanting to provide their service through an LPFM, I listen closely for signs of misinformation - it's deafening! Many have been misled, or not given critical information, thereby leading them to false hopes and misguided efforts.

Over the next few months, many of us may be asked about LPFMs. The FCC rules are now clear, but most people will have no idea how to interpret them. It may be in our best interest to, at least, know who is promoting LPFM with firm ethics, and who is just banging their drum to get LPFM application business. I believe LPFM can co-exist among commercial and NCE services. The FCC, and broadcasters, will be busy playing Whack-A-Mole with the bad-actors, but that's a small price for community pride and nurturing of the next generation of journalists.

Whoever put the quarter in me may want it back now ;-)
Jon Kasprick