[SBE16-Seattle] Ron Rackley SK

tomtraveler W tomtraveller at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 18:15:25 PDT 2019

I first met Ron on the islands of Antigua. It was post 1986 Hurricane Hugo’s aftermath and Ron was commissioned by the Voice of America to evaluate the Deutsche Welle radio facility on Montserratt Island. The trip was short, DW was too badly damaged. In fact one of the guyed towers was missing, to restate the tower could not be found. Blown out to Caribbean waters. The year was memorable; solar cycle 22 producing aural displays visible in Antigua; the green-flash of a setting sun in downtown Plymouth (subsequently destroyed by the volcano). Thirty years have passed now, but besides all that nature could demonstrate I remember Ron. The details are faded away and I still clearly think of him. God bless Ron.

<snip>
On becoming a Category 5 hurricane, its maximum sustained winds had increased to 160 mph (260 km/h) and the minimum central pressure had dropped to 918 millibars (27.1 inHg). In the early hours of September 17, Hugo crossed in between Guadeloupe<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadeloupe> and Montserrat<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montserrat>, while its winds were near 140 mph (230 km/h)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hugo

Tom 🅦❼🅛🅤🅤